This collection contains a selection of photographs and other graphic materials related to the history of UAMS or the health sciences in Arkansas. Images include UAMS grounds, buildings, and employees; UAMS College of Medicine class composites ca1890-1946; the first graduating class of other UAMS colleges or programs; scrapbooks; medical instruments; antique pharmaceuticals; memorabilia and souvenirs; medical illustrations; campus maps; certificates and diplomas; ephemera.
Click on the Browse All tab above to display a list of all items in this digital collection.
Titles for items related to UAMS reflect changes in both the institution’s name and location. Founded in 1879, the medical school was known as the Arkansas Industrial University Medical Department until 1899; University of Arkansas Medical Department, 1899 to 1918; University of Arkansas School of Medicine, 1918 to 1975; and University of Arkansas Medical Sciences Campus, 1975 to 1980. University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences was adopted as the official name in 1980. The campus was referred to informally as the University of Arkansas Medical Center ca1947 to 1974. The medical school was previously located at the following four sites: 113 West Second Street (remodeled Sperindio Hotel), 1879 to 1890; Second and Sherman Streets, 1890 to 1912; 300 West Markham (Old State House), 1912 to 1935; McAlmont and Twelfth Streets, 1935 to 1956. The medical school moved to its present location on 4301 West Markham in 1956. The UAMS Northwest Campus was established in Fayetteville in 2007.